Saturday, March 13, 2010

My reflection about Food, Inc

I always have been concerned about where the food we are buying comes from. Right before taking this class, I was thinking about changing my shopping habits when it comes to buying food, more specifically vegetables and meat. I decided to start buying or at least trying to buy seasonal vegetables to regulate the natural process of my body and my family’s as well. My concern had grown bigger after viewing the Food, Inc documentary. The documentary evokes the insensibility and irresponsibility of the corporate farming in this country. The inhuman condition where animals such as chicken, cows, and pork are being bread is unrealistic. I was flabbergasted when I learned that the meat we are buying is being cloned. It reminded me of the bad science fiction movies I watched when I was a teenager but this time I was not enjoying what I was watching. I did not know these big corporations such as Monsanto Company, Tyson Food, and others will go that far to make profit to the detriment of the environment and credulous consumers without being preoccupied by the inexistent laws that should be implemented to protect us. I was devastated when I saw the little boy Kevin a two year old whom life was taking away from him just because he ate a hamburger. The E.coli bacteria which were the cause of Kevin’s death and thousands of illnesses and deaths among American consumers did not shake in anyway the corporation’s consciousness which would lead them to make positive changes in the food industry. Monsanto Company requires farmers to sign a legal document to prevent them from saving seeds- seeds that are genetically modified and pesticides resistant Monsanto hires private investigators to determine if the contract had been violated which would lead to a law suit. This put farmers in a delicate situation where they can loose everything they worked for in a blink of an eye. I assimilate these suspicious activities to the mafia’s; it is outrageous how the government allows it. The impact of this fabricated food is already being observed in our population. Children are being exposed to fallacious healthy fast food and the number of obesity and diabetes among children is frightening. We, as consumers have a voice we can use to make considerable changes for a better and healthier food for this generation and the ones coming. Therefore I believe we should reconsider our eating habits and make changes in our daily diet to influence the government hence the corporations to make the right decisions.

3 comments:

  1. You make so many reat points!

    I love the idea of honing in on seasonal vegetables! There are great resources on line for produce calendars, but the farmer's markets never lie - If its there, its in season!

    The comparison of big companies to the mafia is scary but perhaps apt. It definitely seemed that way in the movie!

    Most importantly, you hit the nail on the head:
    "We, as consumers have a voice we can use to make considerable changes for a better and healthier food for this generation and the ones coming."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of all of your points, i think your observation about Monsanto is great. The relationship between the government and Monsanto to close for comfort. They might as well be sleeping in the same bed. I completely agree, when you said Monsanto having team of private investigators to spy on farmers is outrageous. It seems clear why the government might allow such practices from Monsanto. The "Laundry List" of people that worked for Monsanto, then went on to work for the government. For example Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when you say this film reminded you of a bad fiction movie, was it like back to the future pt 2? or more like the fifth element?

    ReplyDelete